The Four Most Important Steps to Take Following a Slip and Fall
We have all heard stories about how a casual trip to the grocery store can become a traumatic experience due to a Slip and Fall accident. When you have been injured in a Slip and Fall accident, whether it occurs on your casual grocery store trip or elsewhere, there are measures that you should take to ensure that the liable party will be held responsible for your injuries. Remember S. L. I. P.:
- SUBSTANCE: Immediately after you have fallen, identify the substance, or object, that caused your fall. Be sure to take a picture before it is disposed of.
- LET management know of the accident – describe it to them as soon as you can – so that they can make an incident report. Obtain a copy of that report once it has been completed.
- If there are any witnesses listed on the incident report, obtain their names and telephone numbers.
- INJURIES: Seek medical treatment as soon as possible, and have the doctor document all your injuries. When you are being seen by the physician, ensure that they report that your injuries were caused by a Slip and Fall.
- PRIVACY: Do NOT give any sort of recorded statement to a third party, such as an insurance company, without your attorney present.
Slip and Fall cases can be very difficult cases in terms of proving liability. When reviewing Slip and Fall cases, courts consider the totality of the circumstances surrounding the accident. This can include, among other factors,
- the amount of time that the substance/object was on the ground,
- the company’s safety guidelines (if any),
- the company’s adherence to those guidelines, and
- the amount of care that you exercised before the accident occurred.
It is imperative that you can demonstrate you were taking ordinary care of your own safety when the accident occurred. In order that you may receive just and due compensation for your injuries following a Slip and Fall, please contact us for a further evaluation of your case.